Fast-forward to now and a tad bit more disposable income, I made my way to Amazing Lash Studio in Lincoln Park to give their much raved about eyelash extensions a try. Think back to when you spot your favorite celebrities always looking glamorous. It’s a high chance that they are sporting some ultra fabulous lash extensions.
So what are lash extensions? Lash extensions are fibers applied to the tip of your natural eyelash. 1-by-1 each lash is applied and it takes about 1-1.5 hour of application. The lashes last about 3-4 weeks with the occasional fill-ins.
I went in for an appointment at Amazing Lash Studio in Lincoln park and I filled out the customary survey so my technician could be aware of any allergies. During this time, I also selected my lash style preference. I tend to like the glamorous look, even if it’s just for every day so my technician suggested I do a combination of the Sexy and Gorgeous lashes. Your technician can create custom styles for you, so don’t be afraid to speak up if you feel like you need some more options.
After I select the style I want, I’m then lead to a dark room where I can sit back and relax throughout the process. The application itself was pretty painless. It takes some getting used to having tape near your eyes but you do get used to it. Don’t be surprised if you end up falling asleep in the chair. The process can become very relaxing and soothing.
A little over an hour my lashes were complete and I was in love! They looked very long yet incredibly natural and there were some days where I felt like I didn’t need makeup because my lashes were just enough.
As mentioned lashes last about 3-4 weeks. However, I wore mine for about 2 weeks and I’ll give you the run-down of things you need to consider before you have eyelash extensions applied.
What You Need to Know About Eyelash Extensions
- Lots of Maintenance: Eyelash extensions need a bit of maintenance. If you want your lashes to have a long lifespan, you must be willing to put in the work to make sure they stay pretty. You’ll need to purchase a wand (similar to what you would use for mascara) to keep them clean. Brushing them cleans out the makeup fallout or any other dirt on the lashes. Plus, by keeping your lashes clean you are ensuring that you are keeping your eyes healthy from germs. Lucky for you, Amazing Lash Studio has plenty of accessories available for purchase that can extend the life cycle of your lashes.
- No Water Contact for 48 Hours: For 48-hours your eyes can’t have any type of water contact whatsoever. That means you’ll have to wash your face with goggles and absolutely no crying. So don’t watch any sad movies or get sad with your extensions because the adhesive will wear off.
- Watch Your Sleeping Habits: Try not to sleep too crazy or that’ll cause the lash fibers to bend. It’s probably obvious, but don’t sleep on your face. Sleeping on your back is the most ideal so if this is not a comfortable place for you, consider that before you get your lashes.
- Oil Free Makeup: Everything you use on your face must be oil free. This means makeup, oil cleansers or anything with oil because the oil can loosen the adhesive causing your lashes to fall off.
- Getting Fill-Ins: While your lashes last about 3-4 weeks, unless you’re taking amazing care of your lashes you’ll need some fill-ins around the 2-week mark. This is another investment so it’s important to keep in mind the additional cost.
If you are willing to put in the time and money for some extensions it is so worth it! I loved the naturalness of the lashes and it was exactly the day-to-day look I wanted to achieve. I actually preferred the look of my lashes over my strips.
However, before you go make sure you aren’t allergic to the glue they are using. I had a reaction to the glue that caused my eyes to feel like they were burning and I began plucking my eyelashes out around the 2-week mark.
Disclaimer: Absolutely do not pluck your eyelashes out yourself. Go to a professional to have them removed. If you pluck them out, remember you are plucking out your real lashes so you have been warned.
It’s also important to note that eyelash extensions do not thin out your eyelashes. When you take them out it only looks like you don’t have lashes because you got used to having nice and full lashes.
I would definitely get them again but now I know I need to be way more diligent about taking care of them. Moral of the story, I recommend extensions if and only if you take great care of them because they sure are beautiful.
Now that you know all the do’s and don’t of lashes, go and sign up for a lash subscription at Amazing Lash Studio.
P.S-Sorry there aren’t any pics of me. I must have deleted them on accident but check out the Amazing Lash Facebook to see some stunning pics of their work
*This post was sponsored by Amazing Lash Studio. All opinions are my own. Photo Credit: Amazing Lash Studio